The best way to bet on football accumulators to beat the bookies

Subscribe

Recent Posts   Popular Posts   List Posts
 
Estimated Reading Time: 6 minutes

The best way to bet on football accumulators to beat the bookies

Find the best way to bet on soccer accas and learn how to use information to discover how bookmaker odds are not always what they seem.



Published on
Updated on 08 July 2018
Author:



Betting Tips for Today's Football

Find more value in your next football bet. You could gain a betting edge by checking out the tips and stats for today's and tomorrow's fixtures...


The best way to place bets on accumulators is to treat each individual selection within your accumulator like a single bet and research each bet from your preferred sources. A source could be anything from historical data, iwinsoccerbets Soccer Statistics Database, trusted footy tipster or other online app based resource; giving you realistic data and information.

What do the stats say about your bet?




Once you’re conducted some research, you will have a better idea about the match and the likely results. This should be enough to draw you into several possible selections that could be used within any multiple or accumulator bet.

Ensure you’re looking at a probability above 50%



How can you be so sure of the probability? You can use two main methods to work out the probability of each event:


1. Use the bookmaker odds to suggest the perceived probability of the event

2. Use the match profile within iwinsoccerbets to provide the historical probability of the event


You’ll need to look over the maths within the following section, but don’t worry, we’re not talking about rocket science, but the stuff we should have all been taught in school, so please read on.

Let’s review each of the options in turn and see how we go:

1. Use bookmaker odds to create perceived probability

Bookmakers use a variety of metrics to create odds. They will look at a combination of the historical data, recent trends and historical based statistics, alongside other bookmaker data, such as money wagered on each side of the bet, ongoing promotions and profit margins required across their betting portfolio. This is sometimes known as juice, vigorish or vig in some professional gambling circles.

What is the vig and how can it be calculated?



The vig/vigorish (or sometimes juice) is calculated by taking the different odds within each side of the bet. Using this information will help you to work out how the bookmaker has set the odds, which provides the sports betting public with the perceived odds for each sporting event. This means the bookmaker’s odds are not entirely based on the statistical likelihood of the event occurring, but based on a combination of factors that all provide a slightly inaccurate forecast of the event.


So, if we look at an example of 1X2 odds within the English Premier League (EPL).


Let’s take Arsene Wegner’s last home game in charge or Arsenal against Burnley on 6th May 2018 during the 2017/2018 season. We’ll use some quick calculations to work out the perceived probability based on the odds of the day. Arsene Wegner received a good send off with a 5-nil home victory, but what did the betting odds suggest on the day of the game?


Arsenal Home Win Odds @ 1.42
1 / 1.42 = 0.704
0.704 x 100 = approx. 70%

Draw Odds @ 5.00
1 / 5.00 = 0.2
0.2 x 100 = 20%

Burnley Away Win Odds @ 7.92
1 / 7.92 = 0.126
0.126 x 100 = approx. 13%



Now, we have the information above we can look at the suggested Expected Value. This is only suggested and not the real Expected Value because bookmakers change the odds, so the combined percentage is above 100% due to the bookmaker retaining profit (or vig) on each selection.

What is Expected Value?




If you imagine you’re back at school and you’re playing a game of hide and seek with your friends. You’re told that you have 100 chances to find your hiding friends, but you must start the game blindfolded and you’re not permitted to look at your friends while they run and hide.


Now, this is where things start to get interesting...


Would you feel more confident of finding your friends, if you were given 100 attempts to find them with some clues? Or would you feel more confident if you were not given a clue and you were only given 1 attempt to find them.


Now, that’s the interesting thing with football betting. You can use Expected Value to make your betting selections easier. The rating for each individual match for any betting market means that you can have a measure to explain how much you could…expect…to win from a selection over the long-term based on the likelihood of the desired outcome.

What does this mean for Arsene Wegner’s last home game at Arsenal?

We could calculate how much we would win and lose over the long-term based on the probabilities above. This is where it gets a little tricky, but stay with me!


Arsenal Home Win

A 70% probability means there is a 30% it will not occur

70% - 30% = 40%

40% x £10 stake = £4.00 EV positive


Draw

A 20% probability means there is an 80% it will not occur

20% - 80% = -60%

-60% x £10 = -£6.00 EV negative


Burnley Away Win

A 13% probability means there is a 87% it will not occur

13% - 87% = -74%

-74% x £10 = -£7.40 EV negative


Therefore, the Arsenal Home Win selection is the only selection where the Expected Value is above zero. This means that if the bookmaker odds are accurate, it only makes sense for you to bet on this specific selection over the long-term. As the other selections all signify that the bookmaker will take your money over the long-term.

Is there a way around this quirk of mathematics?



Yes. You could use different bookmakers to reduce your risk. You could improve your winning probabilities by placing bets with different bookmakers, so you can be a little more confident that you will produce a positive return after a certain number of bets.

Expected Value can show you the way to profits



The statistical probability or historical accuracy that a selection is likely to win is only part of the puzzle. You also need to relate this probability to the real world and theorise what this would return, based on your stake, your probability and your bookmaker’s odds.


I would go so far, as to suggest, that Expected Value should be the single most important aspect of your bets and define your entire selection process.

Proportion of stake calculated by the perceived probability



Now, you’ve read the Suggested Expected Value theory and you understand how this approach may benefit you. It’s time to add a little more information by changing how much you bet based on the Expected Value, so if the expected value for against a unit stake (i.e. £1, $1 EUR 1) is large, this means that the stake should be proportional to that bet, but within the boundary of your bankroll management rules.


So, if we go back to our Arsenal Home match, we can see that the suggested Expected Value of +£4.00 (based on a £10 stake) translates to a +£0.40 Expected Value with a unit stake. Therefore, your stake could be multiplied by the +£0.40 Expected Value, which would proportionally reduce your risk to your bank roll.


If you tried this with an acca. You could have a range of selections with various positive Expected Values and this would translate to a single multiplier for your bankroll.



For example, if you planned to place an accumulator on 3 selections, where each of the selections translated to the Expected Values, below:

+£0.5, +£0.7, +£1.0


This means that the final Expected Value would be 0.5 x 0.7 x 1.0 = +£0.35 EV


Therefore, your bankroll stake should be reduced by 0.35 or 35% therefore minimising your risk even further and ensuring you respect acca bets as an extreme risk, which should only be used as a fun and recreational activity.


Now, you should be able to review ANY bookmaker selection and understand what this should mean for your stake and if you should place a bet. You should also understand the best way to bet on football accumulators and have another method to beat the bookies!


Good Luck!



Tags: betting strategy

Share Post On:    
Share on Facebook. Opens a new window    Share on Twitter. Opens a new window    Share on Google Plus. Opens a new window

Short URL: https://iwinsoccerbets.com/zcRvceJHj

<< Previous Post
Can soccer betting make you rich?

Next Post >>
What is 1X2 Betting?

If people can become rich and successful with soccer betting, what are the key factors, which can help make this happen? Soccer Betting with the popular 1X2 betting market. How to be successful when everyone is choosing the same market?

Related Blog Posts



Recent Blog Posts

 
Basics of Cold Trading on betting exchanges and knowing when to trade the markets

Basics of Cold Trading on betting exchanges and knowing when to trade the markets

(by iwinsoccerbets)   

Is it realistic for you to cold trade betting exchanges?
- Updated: 14 June 2019 | betfair


How to choose the best online bookmakers for your sports bets

How to choose the best online bookmakers for your sports bets

(by iwinsoccerbets)   

How to choose where to place your next bookmaker bet
- Updated: 10 June 2019 | Bookmakers


Why team motivation is an important factor in football betting

Why team motivation is an important factor in football betting

(by iwinsoccerbets)   

Why you should identify motivation as a foundation of your next favourite vs underdog wager
- Updated: 05 June 2019 | betting strategy


The top 10 football analysis tips to smash your success rate

The top 10 football analysis tips to smash your success rate

(by iwinsoccerbets)   

Using long-term soccer information and performance data for success rate improvements
- Updated: 28 May 2019 | betting zone


What is scalp trading and how to scalp trade on betting exchanges?

What is scalp trading and how to scalp trade on betting exchanges?

(by iwinsoccerbets)   

Get professional trading skills, so you can get the most out of betting exchanges and earn profits
- Updated: 26 May 2019 | betfair


Are you confused by hedging? Review the top hedging options for your next soccer bet?

Are you confused by hedging? Review the top hedging options for your next soccer bet?

(by iwinsoccerbets)   

Every soccer punter needing an edge should understand hedging?
- Updated: 25 May 2019 | betting strategy


How to start your successful sports betting or professional gambling journey

How to start your successful sports betting or professional gambling journey

(by iwinsoccerbets)   

If you’re consistently losing, you’re not doing something right…
- Updated: 17 May 2019 | betting strategy


How to use OPTA stats and betting stats to become a profitable football punter

How to use OPTA stats and betting stats to become a profitable football punter

(by iwinsoccerbets)   

How to leverage your sports betting with reliable data and deep analysis
- Updated: 14 May 2019 | trends


8 gambling myths to avoid if you want long-term sports betting profits

8 gambling myths to avoid if you want long-term sports betting profits

(by iwinsoccerbets)   

Learn why you should ignore bankrupt punters with no track record?
- Updated: 13 May 2019 | betting tips and tricks


How to recognise your common betting mistakes are more than beginners bad luck

How to recognise your common betting mistakes are more than beginners bad luck

(by iwinsoccerbets)   

How to make better betting choices by removing common betting mistakes
- Updated: 12 May 2019 | betting zone


Advanced soccer betting strategies using historical football data for popular betting markets

Advanced soccer betting strategies using historical football data for popular betting markets

(by iwinsoccerbets)   

Try something a little different and take your betting to the next level using more advanced betting techniques
- Updated: 11 May 2019 | betting strategy


5 reasons why you should consider bookmakers before betting exchanges

5 reasons why you should consider bookmakers before betting exchanges

(by iwinsoccerbets)   

Bookmakers vs Betting Exchanges; why you should keep using Bookmakers
- Updated: 09 May 2019 | Bookmakers


How to start a useful sports blog and popular online sports service for free

How to start a useful sports blog and popular online sports service for free

(by iwinsoccerbets)   

How and why you need to get started on a sports website
- Updated: 09 May 2019 | betting zone


What are database statistics and why are they important for football betting?

What are database statistics and why are they important for football betting?

(by iwinsoccerbets)   

Get more soccer stats and improve your betting knowledge
- Updated: 07 May 2019 | betting hints and tips


Can your daily life affect your bets? Are you making the most of your betting opportunities?

Can your daily life affect your bets? Are you making the most of your betting opportunities?

(by iwinsoccerbets)   

How to make better sports betting choices and discover more about betting markets
- Updated: 04 May 2019 | betting zone


The meaning of Both Teams to Score (BTTS) and how to find good BTTS bets

The meaning of Both Teams to Score (BTTS) and how to find good BTTS bets

(by iwinsoccerbets)   

What is Both Teams to Score and how to find suitable selections?
- Updated: 04 May 2019 | betting strategy


You need more than bookmaker odds to accurately predict the most trusted sporting events

You need more than bookmaker odds to accurately predict the most trusted sporting events

(by iwinsoccerbets)   

Sometimes the obvious data, such as bookmaker odds may not help you profit over the long-term.
- Updated: 24 April 2019 | Bookmakers, odds


Why you should understand the meaning of a football handicap before your next bet

Why you should understand the meaning of a football handicap before your next bet

(by iwinsoccerbets)   

An easy to follow football handicapping explanation with examples
- Updated: 22 April 2019 | Bookmakers


Why you should stop betting to earn extra money from home?

Why you should stop betting to earn extra money from home?

(by iwinsoccerbets)   

Why you should quit betting if you want an easy way to make extra money
- Updated: 13 April 2019 | betting zone


Is hedging your football bets worth the risk?

Is hedging your football bets worth the risk?

(by iwinsoccerbets)   

Why you should think carefully before you hedge your next soccer bet
- Updated: 13 April 2019 | betting tips and tricks


How to compare football betting with financial betting for bankroll growth

How to compare football betting with financial betting for bankroll growth

(by iwinsoccerbets)   

What are the similarities and differences between financial betting and soccer betting?
- Updated: 05 April 2019 | betting strategy


It takes 3 minutes to find the best live odds soccer betting strategies

It takes 3 minutes to find the best live odds soccer betting strategies

(by iwinsoccerbets)   

Using cash out and pre-match statistics to help find profitable real-time selections
- Updated: 01 April 2019 | Bookmakers, odds


7 stats showing how you could succeed when over under soccer betting

7 stats showing how you could succeed when over under soccer betting

(by iwinsoccerbets)   

Over under betting explained with stats and information that can help you with selections
- Updated: 29 March 2019 | betting strategy


What do soccer fans need to know before their next each way bet?

What do soccer fans need to know before their next each way bet?

(by iwinsoccerbets)   

Can you use each way betting to insure your wagers from total loss?
- Updated: 20 March 2019 | betting strategy


How to use 3 realistic soccer betting tactics to make money online?

How to use 3 realistic soccer betting tactics to make money online?

(by iwinsoccerbets)   

The profitable soccer betting techniques you can use today
- Updated: 16 March 2019 | betting strategy


123456